Dental Checkups & Cleanings – Albuquerque, NM
Reach & Maintain a Healthy Smile
Even if your mouth is fine now, it may not stay that way. Seemingly-small oral health issues can get severe if left untreated. In fact, what starts as minor plaque buildup can lead to decay, cavities, gum disease, and worse. It’s essential, then, that you attend dental checkups and cleanings twice yearly. Luckily, you can count on Natural Dental Services for these treatments. If you’d like, keep reading to learn more about them or book them yourself.
Why Are Regular Dental Checkups & Cleanings Important?
However tempting it might be, skipping regular dental visits leads to long-term problems. On the other hand, attending them involves many benefits.
For one thing, checkups and cleanings spare you unnecessary pain. They do, after all, prevent worse dental problems from cropping up. For example, a dentist can treat plaque before it causes an achy cavity. Similarly, you can fix a cavity before it triggers a nasty tooth infection.
Plus, these appointments are the more cost-effective option. Insurance covers twice-yearly preventive visits, but fillings and other restorative work involve out-of-pocket expenses. Furthermore, you’ll save time with checkups since restoration procedures are invasive and lengthy.
What to Expect During a Dental Checkup
While Patients do have different oral situations, most dental checkups follow a set guideline. You can thus expect the following to take place during your own:
- Medical History Update(s) – Before the checkup, the dentist will learn about any recent changes in your medical history and list of medications. Doing so allows them to tailor your care better.
- An Oral Exam – After the necessary updates, Keanna will assess your teeth, bite, and existing dental work. He’ll also screen your mouth tissues for signs of oral cancer.
- X-Rays – As a supplement to the direct oral exam, our team may take X-rays of your mouth. That way, we can see if you have deeper oral problems.
- A Treatment Plan – Given the results of your oral exam and X-rays, our office will draft an appropriate treatment plan. We’ll then lay it out for you step-by-step.
- A Q&A – Once the treatment plan is outlined, Dr. Keanna will answer questions you might have about upcoming procedures or oral care.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning
Unfortunately, you can’t clean your whole mouth alone. There are spots your toothbrush and floss can’t reach. Therefore, a dental checkup is often followed by a professional cleaning. For this service, you’ll likely experience:
- General Cleaning – Using special tools, a dental hygienist will remove plaque from your teeth and gumline. The result is a lower likelihood of tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, and more.
- Flossing – Our staff will also floss between teeth to ensure plaque is effectively removed.
- Polishing – As the final step of a cleaning session, Dr. Keanna will polish your pearly whites so they stay healthy and shiny.